Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Haiti Food Pack

Authors Note: My mom and I went to a food pack Sunday at the State Fair Exp Center for starving kids in Haiti and I decided to write about my experience.

The Worldwide Hunger Relief set up the food pack to help the homeless kids in Haiti who don't have food. The experience I had was awesome, we were assigned to a table with five other people and we packed meals for a hour and a half. All of the meals included a soy bean mix, protein powder, vegetables and rice and we had to pack, weigh and seal the meals so they could be shipped.

They told us that each of the meals we packed could feed six people and we packed 36 into each box. We packed 12 boxes and that equals one shipping pallet, so if you do the math we could feed almost 2500 people just by working for only an hour and a half.

At the start I didn't think that it was going to be that good but once we started really getting into it I had a great time. The people we worked with were really nice and there was another boy who was probably 10 or 11 that was working with us so it wasn't too bad.

It was awesome and it was a great cause so I felt I had done something huge when I left. They do have special events for schools so it is possible that we could have a food pack at our school.     



 

No comments:

Post a Comment