Friday, April 26, 2013

A Clean, Well Lighted......Movie

In my opinion the movie adaptation was pretty good although it lacked a few main components to make it spot on. The director had some good ideas on ways to put some extra symbolism but there was too many thing off.

In the written story it is based in the 1900's time period. Thus making it impossible to have an flat screen TV there. Also they kept the soldier and girl scene which was mainly in there to set the time period. Any could tell that bar setting was not World War I times. The director also left out the key component that even though the cafe is well lighted, the old man was in the shadows. That being said I did like the scene when he pays for the drinks and it focuses on the glass of brandy that is almost gone.

Along with the setting the characters seemed kind of off. Something about how the actors we're talking just didn't seem how I would have pictured the story. I know they're Irish but they're accent isn't why. To me it sounded like when they spoke the words sounded really awkward like they had just read the script..

The movie was actually pretty close to the story even though there were some things I though were weird. I said a lot of things that I though were bad about the movie but there are a few really good things the director put in. The scene in the bar really showed the meaning of why the old man likes the cafe. It shows sad people dressed in black sitting in the bar. Another thing I liked was the way the old man walked off into the darkness to really show that the cafe was his light in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment